None of these lists are in any particular order. I limited myself to ten items in each category. Sometimes there are less, because I didn’t have more than I’d mentioned.
Best TV shows of the decade:
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer – It was an amazing show. The last season suffered, in my opinion, but the show itself was just so enjoyable in almost every episode.
- Rome – I’ve never mourned the limited run of a show as much I mourned this one. It was compelling and entertaining, with a complex cast and great historic context.
- Survivor – It shocks me that this isn’t on more lists. Survivor defined the past decade of television, like it or not. It introduced the reality genre as being viable for prime-time network viewing.
- West Wing – It helped us survive the Dubya years. Honestly, I think Obama could thank Sorkin for his presidency, as this show set up a tight base of people who believed strongly that Washington could change things for the better.
- Lost – This is another game-changer, like Survivor. We’re awash with compelling sci-fi on network TV, and we have Lost to thank for it.
- The Daily Show – Another one that helped us survive the Dubya years. It remains my primary source of news.
- Freaks and Geeks – It was short-lived, and that may have saved it. It might have sucked given time. It was a rich re-telling of growing up as an outsider that resonated on a basic level, and, thanks to it, we have Jason Segel. I saw this on DVD, and I mourned the end of the series, much as I did with Rome.
- Arrested Development – Another short-lived but awesome show that had so many fast-paced and off-kilter jokes that you could barely keep up without a DVR to pause and replay.
- Mad Men – It’s simply stunning visually, and I truly care about each character. Even the “bad guys” are lovable in some odd way.
- The Amazing Race – It’s travel porn. My “I want to go to there” list gets longer every time I watch.
Best Movies of the Decade:
- Little Miss Sunshine
- Kill Bill
- O Brother Where Art Thou?
- Lord of the Rings
- Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
- Brokeback Mountain
- Diet Coke with Lime
- Emerald Cocoa Roast Almonds
- Kapoosh Knife Holder, Woodgrain Finish
- KitchenArt Pro Series Salt/Pepper Dispenser/Shaker, Champagne Satin Finish
- Copco Cold Beverage Mug
- Nautica Bed Gear Sets
Awesome things that have happened to me in the past decade:
- Graduated from Tulane (thanks, Mommylady, for the reminder!)
- Paid off my student loans well ahead of schedule
- Moved to IL, got my first apartment
- Started this blog 🙂
- Mourned for the loss of several people, but most notably amanojaku, and both my grandpas
- Met and married my dear husband
- Met and became friends with B*, the Moos, and the Twos and a host of others after moving to IL
- Started working for my current employer and celebrated ten years of doing so
- Became a gamer
- Bought my first car, and bought my second without any financing
- Love(d) and was/am loved by two cats
- Donated often to charities and causes I believe in
Anything I missed? 🙂